College History

Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration, Kolkata, is one of the oldest and most prestigious Colleges in India. The history of the College may be traced back to 1905, when the Presidency College commercial classes developed into a separate government commercial institute, which is a front runner of the present college. The Institute was later shifted to this present site replacing the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. However, the present building was constructed in 1955 was christened Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration. Since 1951, the college has been affiliated to the University of Calcutta for teaching the B. Com course. The college has from the beginning, functioned as a full-time day college for teaching the co-educational B.Com Course. Eventually, it introduced an evening section in 1965. The evening section was later on converted into Morning section. As a mark of recognition of its excellence, in 2003 the University of Calcutta has given affiliation for opening of Post Graduate course in commerce in addition to its existing B.Com (Hons) course. A significant achievement of the college was introduction of a full time Master of Business Administration (MBA) course from the academic session 2010-11.

This course is affiliated to the University of Calcutta and approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).

However, due to a deplorable condition of management education all over the country, number of enrolments in the course declined significantly giving the college no other choice but to discontinue the course since 2017-18.